Meet Brandt Sensei
Daniel Brandt Sensei [Teacher] began his martial arts training in 1995 with Michael Coleman Kyoshi [Master Instructor], in the Genbukan Ninpo and Kokusai Jujutsu Remnei traditions. Quickly proving himself to be a fast learner, talented martial artist and effective instructor, in 1997 Brandt Sensei earned the priviledge of teaching classes at Futen Dojo, Coleman Kyoshi's Milwaukee-area school. In 2008, Brandt Sensei received permission from his teacher to travel to Japan for personal training with the Grandmaster of the Genbukan Ninpo Bugei and Kokusai Jujutsu Renmei organizations. It was at that time that the Grandmaster, Shoto Tanemura Soke [President], granted Brandt Sensei permission to open his own dojo here in Madison. Shoto Tanemura Soke also gave the dojo its official name, ‘Soyokaze’, which translates as 'Benevolent Wind'. In 2009, Brandt Sensei traveled to Canada and earned the title of Renshi [Journeyman Master], a difficult rank that only a few, after many years of training, can earn. He feels privileged to continue his own training in Milwaukee every week under the direction of Coleman Kyoshi, who is a direct student of Grandmaster Shoto Tanemura
Brandt Sensei graduated with honors from the University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, earning a Bachelor of the Arts degree in Linguistics with an emphasis in Japanese language, as well as earning a certificate in Asian Studies. He moved to Madison in June of 2008 to establish Soyokaze Dojo. In addition to operating his school of martial arts, Brandt Sensei practices as a Licensed Massage Therapist and as a Japanese language instructor.
"The arts taught at Soyokaze Dojo were traditionally taught within the family, from father to son or daughter, uncle to nephew or niece etc. and only recently has opened up to the rest of the world. It's with this in mind that I, as a teacher, want to guide and nurture my students with a strict but tender heart. It is my responsibility to guide my students to martial maturity and understanding so these students can discover for themselves what meaning their lives can hold. Training in Ninpo is not just about self defense, it is equally, if not more important, to develop one's spirit. How one conducts his or herself in life and within the world and all it contains, that is paramount."
"My goal for Soyokaze Dojo is to create a place that cultivates self improvement and where students feel a sense of belonging, a place of community."
- Renshi (Journeyman Master)
- Genbukan Ninpo : 5th Degree Black Belt
- Kokusai Jujutsu : 5th Degree Black Belt
- Bikenjutsu [Sword] : 1st Kyu
- Bojutsu [Staff] : Jo Kyu
- Hakkeshou : 3rd kyu
- Asayama Ichiden Ryu Taijutsu : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Gyokko Ryu Koshijutsu (Tanemura Ha) : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Koto Ryu Koppojutsu : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Tenshin Hyoho Kukushin Ryu Jujutsu: First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Shinden Tatara Ryu Taijutsu: First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Togakure Ryu Ninpo (Tanemura-Ha) : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Gikkan Ryu Koppo-jutsu (Ninpo) : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Yagyu Shingan Ryu Jujutsu : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Hontai Kijin Chosui Ryu Kukishiden Dakentaijutsu : First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Hontai Takagi Ryu Yoshin Jujutsu: First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Kukishinden Happo Biken Jutsu - Taijutsu (unarmed): First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Kukishinden Happo Biken Jutsu - Biken-no-ho (sword): First-Level Mastership Certificate
- Kukishinden Happo Biken Jutsu - Bojutsu (long staff): First-Level Mastership Certificate